There are all types of life coaches that come from different walks of life. In fact, you can hire a life coach for almost anything.
But in order for you to get the most out of your life coaching experience, it’s important to know and understand three things when hiring a coach.
The following three items are crucial to know when hiring a life coach.
1) Know the area(s) where you need help. Consider the areas where you feel stuck or frustrated.
- Is it in your career?
- Your marriage?
- Are you struggling with keeping a clean office or home? (That’s me!)
- Or do you feel that you were born for a greater purpose but don’t know how to get there?
When you can clearly identify your areas of weakness or being stuck, you’ll know how to ask the right questions of your potential life coach. Also, you’ll be able to pick the right coach for you.
It’s important to also ask your potential life coach what areas they specialize in. If they can’t tell you or if they say everything, you may want to find a coach who focuses specifically in the area(s) where you need help.
2) Know your budget.
Life coaches charge anywhere from $25 – $200 or more per. hour. This will go based on their experience, knowledge, and length of time they will be coaching you, along with other factors.
I recommend you know beforehand how much can you afford for life coaching services. Then see if their pricing packages fit within your budget when you talk with them.
What is a life coach and how does it differ from counseling?
A life coach helps you to do the following:
- Asks you soul searching questions to help you see where you are in your life.
- Holds you accountable for the things you said you would do to reach your goals.
- Offers you resources to help you to grow and move forward in your area(s) of need.
- On the other hand, a counselor takes you back to your past and seeks to help you find healing. This is different than a life coach.
What’s the first step in finding a life coach that works best for you?
The best thing to do is to research specific life coaches, based on the areas where you need growth. If you have more than one unrelated area, focus on one big area first.
Many life coaches offer a free 20-30 minute consultation.
During this time, you can chat with your potential life coach to see if it’s a good fit for you, based on:
- The results they promise you will see as a result of using their services.
- Their ability to listen to you.
- Their ability to ask questions that help you to think and make clear-cut decisions for moving forward.
- Their pricing packages
- Your ability to connect with that life coach, based on their personality and yours!
If you feel stuck in certain areas of your life, a life coach can help. But before you actually hire one, it’s important to know your area(s) where you need help, your budget, and what the life coach can actually do to help move you toward your goals.